General Motors Australia and New Zealand Privacy Statement
General Motors recognises the importance of protecting an individual's privacy. We appreciate that individuals are concerned about the security of their personal information and we are committed to protecting any personal information we hold and to meeting our obligations.
Additionally, our mobile applications may have separate privacy statements, so please take the time to review those statements if you are using those services.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOW DO WE COLLECT THE INFORMATION?
As you interact with GM and our dealers, there may be instances where you provide us with your personal information. Additionally, we may collect certain personal information about you as further described below.
You may provide us with personal information about you through a number of sources: our websites, dealership visits, product and related events, test drive or other incentive applications, surveys, social media platforms, through our customer call centres or when you contact us.
We receive information about you through vehicle sales and service records provided by your dealer. We also may obtain information about you and your vehicle from GM affiliates, GM dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM credit card bank partners and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, if such companies are permitted to share your information with us pursuant to their respective privacy statements or policies.
The types of information that we collect about you may include, but are not limited to:
• Contact information (such as name, address, city, state and postal code, email address and telephone number);
• Vehicle information (such as vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease and service history);
• Vehicle performance data (such as engine and transmission performance, vehicle camera images and airbag deployment conditions or crash or near crash information about how a vehicle’s system performed, emissions data);
• Demographic information (such as age range, marital status and household composition);
• Non-credit-related marketing profile information (such as when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you're interested);
• Survey responses that you provide to us;
• Relationships you have with us in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle;
• Incentive eligibility verification information;
• Investor information (name, address, phone number and email address); and
• Photographs such as those that you may submit for contests, credit checks or relating to an after-sales inquiry.
If we receive information about you from a third party, wherever practical we will make sure they undertake to comply with any applicable privacy laws.
We will not collect your sensitive personal information except as set out in this section. Sensitive personal information is personal information concerning religious beliefs or affiliation, racial, ethnic origin, political opinions or other beliefs, membership of a political association, membership of a professional or trade association, union affiliation or activities, health, genetics, biometrics, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, criminal administrative proceedings or sanctions.
GM websites use “cookies” to remember user preferences and to maximize the performance of our websites and services. Using cookies on our websites provides benefits to you, such as allowing you to maintain your account login information or contact information on Request a Quote forms between visits or locating a nearby dealer. In addition, we use information gathered from cookies to autofill fields on forms such as the city, state or zip code associated with your IP address. This information can be corrected by you before submitting any form or inquiry or you can disable the cookie, as discussed below, and the information will not be collected.
We may also place web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
To measure site activity and provide a better user experience, we may allow our service providers or business partners to compile information from the cookies, web beacons or other technologies on our websites. This may include information about your visit (such as demographic data, browser type, IP address, pages visited, activities conducted on the page and the day and time of your visit). We may also allow third party advertising and personalization partners to use this information to develop personalized content and appropriate advertising based on your visits over time on GM websites and non-GM websites.
This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions and other marketing messages to you.
We do not honour “do no track” signals from a website browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from us while visiting GM websites, you may click on the AdChoices icon and/or link located at the bottom of the website page and follow the instructions on how to opt out. Opting out of relevant advertising will not opt you out of all advertising, but rather only those advertisements that are personalized to your interests by GM, its affiliates, agents or representatives.
Our mobile applications
If you send us an application for a job or resume, we will use this information to assess your application and may disclose this information to our related companies (both in New Zealand and Australia and overseas) and contracted service providers for purposes such as aptitude, psychological and medical testing and human resources management activities. As part of the application process, you will be asked for your specific consent for us to obtain information about your pre-employment medical examination (including drug and alcohol testing) and psychological and aptitude testing and the use and disclosure of the results of those tests. We may also collect your personal information from third parties (such as your referees).
A refusal to provide any of this information, or to consent to its disclosure to us or to allow us to provide this information to the parties described above, may affect the success of your application.
We may also ask you whether you agree to your personal information being provided to our related companies and affiliates overseas for other positions relevant to your qualifications and experience that may arise. For example, our operations in:
• Australia and New Zealand;
• Asia Pacific;
• Latin America and Middle East;
• North America; and
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The personal information we collect about you will be used:
• To provide you with products and services (including third party services, such as Holden Roadside Assistance, which is provided by contractors) or information about our products and services;
• To maintain customer relationships;
• To operate our websites and applications;
• To provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as recall information or warranty service);
• To evaluate vehicle performance and safety as described in the vehicle owner manual;
• For safety and product research purposes;
• To verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs;
• For marketing purposes;
• To customize and improve communication content; and
• To comply with legal requirements and to exercise legal rights.
WHEN WILL WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may share your personal information in the following instances:
• As permitted or required by law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process;
• When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary or desirable to protect our rights or interests, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate or protect against fraud or respond to a law enforcement request;
• With our service providers who work on our behalf and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we disclose to them;
• With our business partners for GM marketing activities, business partner marketing activities or both;
• With third parties for research and development purposes (such as university research institutes for improving highway safety, etc);
• In connection with the sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business or its assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding; and
• Within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with GM dealers and with GM licensees (however, transaction information will not be shared with GM dealers).
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
When we, or our controlled subsidiaries and affiliates receive your personal information, we comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal information to countries outside Australia and New Zealand. GM acts as “data processors” for its GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates by providing data hosting, maintenance, support, and troubleshooting of services, as well as other redundant back office support.
We store your information in the United States, the European Economic Area (EEA), and other locations where we or our service providers maintain servers. With respect to such transfers from the EEA to the United States and other non-EEA jurisdictions, we implement appropriate contractual mechanisms to protect such information. With respect to disclosures of your personal information outside Australia and New Zealand, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the applicable Australian and New Zealand privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
In addition, anonymized and aggregated data from you is shared with other GM entities abroad to evaluate or research the safety, quality, usage, and functionality of vehicles and services, customers with vehicle support and services and to ensure accurate customer records and maintain customer relationships.
Information also is shared with our related companies overseas in order to contact customers about their vehicle or the services, or for marketing purposes, but only if the individual has opted in to receive marketing information.
Apart from the purposes listed above, we will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your permission.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE
We maintain reasonable and adequate technical, administrative, and physical security and confidentiality measures designed to help protect your information from unauthorised access or acquisition. We also require by contract (other than in an emergency situations) that third party services providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also undertake to provide such security and confidentiality measures in accordance with industry standards.
We may collect information about dealer staff directly from those staff or from dealers directly. We may collect information about staff of our suppliers directly from those staff or from other staff of those suppliers. The information we collect about dealer or supplier staff may include their name, position, contact details and training records.
We may disclose personal information held in our employment records for different purposes including: to our related companies and to service providers (such as information technology service providers, payroll service providers, recruitment service providers, third parties that provide services in relation to our internal feedback and reporting programs i.e. Awareline program, and service providers who assist GM with "onboarding" new staff) so that they can provide the services that GM has contracted to them to perform.
• personal information collected about current and former employees which is not directly related to their employment;
• personal information collected about current and former employees which is used for purposes not directly related to their employment;
• independent contractors;
• secondees into GM who remain employees of the seconding client or firm;
• voluntary work experience students; or
• job applicants.
However, GM recognises that employee records should nevertheless be handled carefully, and GM will comply with any obligations that may apply to employee personal information under other applicable laws.
GM employees may seek to access, update or correct the personal information which GM holds about them by contacting their Human Resources Manager. Such requests will be assessed on a case by case basis.
CONTACT US / MAKING AN INFORMATION REQUEST OR COMPLAINT
We will strive to ensure that information about you is accurate when we collect or use it. Subject to some exceptions under privacy laws, we will, on your request, give you a copy of the personal information we hold about you and correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date. If we do not grant you access to your personal information, we will tell you why. If you request corrections to your personal information and GM agrees with your request, the corrections will be made as soon as practicable. If GM does not agree to your request for correction, it will notify you of the reasons it does not agree and will note your request on the records it holds about you.
If you have concerns or questions regarding our privacy practices, or to update your contact information, or to make a personal information access or correction request, or to unsubscribe from marketing communications from GM, please call one of the following Customer Assistance Centres that is specific to your vehicle:
Australia 1800 00 GMSV (4678)
New Zealand 0800 GMSV00 (467800)
If you believe that your privacy has been interfered with please contact us using the contact information above providing details of the incident so that we can investigate it. We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
If you remain dissatisfied, you may also complain to the OAIC (www.oaic.gov.au) in Australia or the Office of the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand (www.privacy.org.nz).
CURRENCY OF THIS DOCUMENT