Holden New Zealand
Kiwis love their Holden's - and have done ever since the first FJ models arrived on the wharf from Australia back in 1954. The Holden heritage goes back even further - to J.A. Holden’s saddlery business in South Australia during the gold rush days of the 1850s.
It’s an exciting story of fantastic cars and passionate loyalties. It’s also a story of ongoing development - because the Holden vehicles of today have inherited the pedigree of quality and innovation established in those early years. Best of all, the story isn’t finished. Holden’s future will continue to be distinguished by the long-established principles of performance, safety, economy and style.
Holden New Zealand Limited, formerly General Motors New Zealand Limited before 1994 is the sales subsidiary for General Motors in New Zealand. Holden New Zealand was incorporated as a company on January 4, 1926.
The Petone assembly plant opened in 1926 and the Trentham (in Wellington's Hutt Valley area) assembly plant opened on August 26, 1967 by the Prime Minister of New Zealand Keith Holyoake. At this time, the company had almost one million square feet of floor space, situated on three (Petone and Trentham: assembly/manufacturing plants; Upper Hutt: parts, and later, assembly, warehouse and office facilities) properties in the Hutt Valley totaling 117 acres (0.47 km2). The Petone assembly plant was sold in 1984. In 1990, General Motors New Zealand announced its decision to phase out local assembly of passenger cars.