The Holden Barina’s athletic performance always makes driving a thrill. Ready when you need it, power is transferred quickly and effortlessly from the 1.6L 4-cylinder engine. And when it comes to handling, the Holden Barina is intuitive and agile. It all makes for a truly spirited drive.
1.6 litre, DOHC 16 valve 4 cylinder engine
The Barina is equipped with a 1.6 litre DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder petrol engine. The powertrain offers outstanding refinement and power and torque that ensures energetic driving characteristics. The Barina is paired with a 5-speed manual*, and is also available in 6-speed automatic transmission with active select.
5-speed manual* transmission
Complementing the 1.6 litre petrol engine is a smooth shifting 5-speed manual* transmission.
- One-piece housing enables a compact, lightweight design.
- Enhanced low-gear engagement for smooth and easy launch and shift characteristics.
- Needle bearings for all gears to ensure low friction gear meshing for better shift-ability.
6-speed automatic transmission
The sporty drive is further enhanced with the impressively responsive and superbly smooth acceleration delivered through the optional 6-speed automatic transmission.
- Features Active Select that lets you manually select gears via a toggle switch in the shifter head to allow for a more ‘hands on’ drive.
- Sophisticated electronics allows added precision and smoother shifts between gears.
- The wide overall ratio spread allows a ‘steep’ first gear, which provides brisk acceleration from stationary. Sixth, however, is an overdrive ratio, which keeps the engine revolutions as low as possible for highway cruising and improved fuel economy.
Ride and Handling
Engineered and tuned to deliver distinct European driving dynamics, the Barina combines exceptional ride stability and confident road command with responsive handling characteristics that fully connect the driver to the road.
At the very heart of Barina’s fun-to-drive appeal is a combination of power steering designed for greater driver responsiveness; a McPherson strut front suspension and torsion beam rear suspension tuned to balance ride comfort and handling agility and stability; and a front disc/rear drum configuration with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) that provides solid pedal feel and stopping performance.
Choose your Barina
- 5-star ANCAP safety rating
- 1.6 litre, DOHC 16 valve 4 cylinder engine
- 15" alloy wheels (4)
- Bluetooth® phone & audio*
- USB input with iPod® connectivity
- Multifunction steering wheel mounted controls
Bluetooth® is a registered trademark and logo of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
*Certain mobile phones may not be compatible with the vehicle's Bluetooth® system.
iPod® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc
*Manual: Available on CD model only